7/22/2008

The Dark Knight: My Review

***This article may contain spoilers.***

I went to see this movie just like any other movie, but not like how everyone else went to see it. There was a huge hype over this movie months before it even opened. There were those Harvey Dent logos and "movements" if you will, around the city advertising the Dark Knight. When the trailers came out people were going crazy over them, especially the Joker. It was unfortunate that the star behind the Joker, Heath Ledger, passed away, but with his last performance as the Joker, I'm sure no one will ever forget how great of an actor he was.

My take on the movie was just like any other movie, I really don't care about it much until I actually go and see it. The heaps of advertising behind it were a waste in my opinion. If the movie is good, and there are fans behind it, they will see it, no need to over do it. I had a friend who was in love with Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, and was driving me crazy trying to get me to watch the trailers. I watched the trailers, and to me the performance was nothing special, even if the actor behind it was alive or dead. After actually seeing the movie, my mind has changed. I do forget, trailers only have some of the good scenes in them, not all. I absolutely loved the Joker's character and performance in that movie His performance was enough to drive Batman out of the movie, if anything the main character of the movie was the Joker himself, with his stellar performance and also probably some hype behind the fact that this was Heath Ledger's last movie.

The opening scene of the movie was one of the best scenes there was. It opened up as a bank job led by the Joker and the enviornment made me think to myself, "Hey, this movie looks badass already. It doesn't look like another shitty comic book superhero movie." His strategy of taking out each of the men he hired one by one so he can take all of the shares was genius. The part with the bus bus killing the last of the men was a great addition/ In my opinion that was one of the best openings I've seen in a movie and I felt bad when I saw a family come in the theater right after the opening scene was over knowing that they've missed possibly one of the best scenes of the movie just because they came in a little bit late.

Despite the characters in the movie, the use of gadgets really got to my liking. The Bat-Mobile looked like it was completely redesigned and the motor-bike detachment feature on it was a nice addition. Just the design itself of the vehicle was enough to get to me, but the extra add-ons really blew my mind on how far you can go. That thing looked like a semi-tank, built strong to last long, but sadly that wasn't the case around the end of the movie. As for Batman's armor itself, well I really can't say it was the best I've seen, but decent nonetheless. The timed bombs and grapples were nice too, but I can't say they haven't been overused in a lot of similar movies.

All in all, if you haven't seen this movie yet, go see it and don't ask questions. It was well worth my money, and it was a decently long movie as well. So get out there and see the Dark Knight, and if you've already seen it please take some time to comment on my review. Thanks.